- Pursuing a degree from elite Universities such as Harvard, Yale and other educational institutes in the USA is a dream come true for students from all over the world. What are the requirements to study in the USA? What are some of the best undergraduate courses in the USA? How can you apply for admissions in the USA?
- If you are someone who is looking to do under graduation from America but are confused about the admission process and other educational requirements, then you have come to the right hub to get enlightened on all the significant details.
UG Course In USA- Overview
- A Bachelor’s degree program in the USA usually extends over 4 years. These four years are divided into the Freshman Year, Sophomore Year, Junior Year, and lastly, the Senior year. The academic curriculum of this 4-year UG program has a flexible model wherein students take up general subjects in the Freshman and Sophomore years to get an idea about their interests. Students then opt for their respective majors in the Junior and the Senior years.
- Alternatively, students can also opt to take a two-year associate program from a community college. These courses are structured to impart vocational training to the students and if by the end of the course a student desires to continue the sail in pursuing their educational journey, they can transfer their credits and enroll in a full-time Bachelor’s degree program.
UG Course in USA Eligibility
For admissions into any university in the USA, candidates need to appear for two primary entrance exams. You might have heard these names in the Netflix Hollywood series, but to give to the benefit of the doubt, the entrance exams that you need to qualify for admissions in a UG program in the USA are-
- SAT – Students need to take this test in the 12th level to qualify for an undergraduate degree in the USA.
The SAT General Test examines the students on their SAT reading and SAT mathematical reasoning abilities.
- English Language Test (IELTS/TOEFL) – These tests are conducted to test a candidate\’s language fluency. Candidates are tested on their English language reading, listening, speaking, and writing abilities.
- ACT – Some universities in the US also ask the students to appear for the American College Testing.
UG Course in USA Intake and Application Deadlines
The process for admissions into various degree programs in the USA takes place two times a year- once in spring and the second time in Fall.
- Fall semesters last between September to December
- Spring Semesters lasts between January and May
- Fall, however, is the most active time for college admissions. This is because only a handful of colleges and universities accept admissions during the spring season. Also, in most cases, a high number of scholarships and financial aids are granted by the educational institutes during the fall admissions.
- As a high number of applicants apply for admissions every year, the deadlines for the submission of the application last for a few months. However, we recommend that you apply for admissions at an early phase as the Universities usually take 8-10 weeks for the processing of the applications.
UG Course in USA Duration
There are two types of UG courses in the USA that a candidate can opt for after passing their 12th:
- Associate Degree: It’s a two-year program and is offered at a community college.
- Bachelor’s Degree: It’s a four-year program and is offered at degree-granting colleges, universities, or specialized institutes.
- Other courses to pursue include a Bachelor of Architecture Degree, Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). The Juris Doctor (JD) course may take 4-6 years.
UG Course in USA Tuition Fees
- The average cost of pursuing an undergraduate degree in the USA ranges from $20,000 to $30,000 per year. The cost of studying at a private institute is higher in comparison to the cost of studying at a public institute.
- International candidates can opt to do part-time jobs to cover their expenses. However, part-timing is only allowed after a year of staying in the USA. Students can then apply to work in part times jobs on campus for 20 hours/week.
UG Course in USA Important Documents for admissions:
Students who are looking to take admissions in the USA must have the following documents available with them:
- Transcripts/Final Marks Sheets (Class 9, 10, 11, and 12)
- Official Test Score Reports
- Scanned Copy of Passport
- Financial Documents
- Letters of Recommendations
- Portfolio for Fine Arts programs like Architecture, Dance and Music (If applicable)
- One can submit the applications to several universities and colleges in the USA via the Common App. This app is used by 517 colleges and universities in the USA and through this, you can submit a single application to up to 20 universities! Even if you submit your application via the Common App, additional documents might be asked by the educational institute as well.
- Submitting an essay via the Common App is an important part of the application process. This essay has a huge role to play in determining whether or not a college shall grant you admissions to its respective courses. The essay should be structured properly and written in a clear and precise manner to showcase they you have good interpersonal and lingual skills.
A student is issued an F1 visa to the government to be eligible for studying in the USA.
Why choose to study a UG Course in the USA?
Take a look at what makes the USA a preferred destination for international students:
Renowned Academic Structure
- The US has seven universities that ranked at the top according to the World University Rankings 2021 by Times Higher Education, seven US universities are in the top 10 list. Alongside this student satisfaction, quality research works, best faculties, and many such admirable qualities make the US a high-priority destination for pursuing higher studies.
- The academic module followed in the US allows students to grow and explore other options alongside pursuing their respective courses. Students pursuing their respective degrees must take a certain number of classes related to their field of choice, however, they also have the freedom to decide the rest of their schedules on their own.
- For instance, students pursuing a degree in International Relationship can also decide to do a minor in Philosophy, or they can change their major to Anthropology after a year of study.
Better Course Design
- The courses offered in the colleges and universities focus to build a practical understanding of things so that the students can learn to employ their knowledge in real-life aspects. This gives the student confidence and prepares them for global careers.
Types of Education Institutions for UG Course in USA
- Degrees are awarded by universities, colleges, or autonomous institutes.
- The list of IVY League Universities is Yale University, Princeton University, Harvard University, Cornell University, Brown University, Columbia University, Pennsylvania, and Dartmouth College. Admissions are highly competitive in these institutes.
- Small Liberal Arts Colleges colleges offer humanities, sciences, and social science courses. They have high admission standards. E.g., Swarthmore College, Manhattan College, Amherst College, etc.
- Technical Schools offer engineering, science, and research programs. E.g., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Polytechnic Institute, and Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Community Colleges offer higher education, granting certificates, diplomas, associate degrees, and lower-level tertiary education. E.g., De Anza College and Bellevue Community College.
Common Mistakes to Avoid While Applying for UG Course in the USA
- Don’t limit your options to Ivy League universities. Explore your options and apply to a variety of programs to expand your probability of getting accepted.
- Always follow the admission procedures as directed. Submit all documents asked by the universities. Going beyond yourself and submitting or not submitting the documents or information asked can lead to the college authority questioning your ability to understand and comprehend instructions. This will reflect negatively on your application and may even lead to rejection.
- While writing the essay, be true to yourself. Do not try to glorify your achievements or look down upon your hard work. The college authorities can see through your false words and can eventually end up rejecting you.
UG Course in USA Top Colleges
Check out the top UG courses that you can pursue in the USA after completing your 12th:
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor in Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Public Affairs
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Philosophy
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Design with
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing
Check out our website Collzy to get to know about these courses in detail.
UG Course in USA Top Colleges
Check out the list of top universities in the USA for Undergraduate Degree programs according to the 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings:
- California Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Princeton University
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- University of Chicago
UG in USA Salary and Job opportunities
Top job opportunities for international candidates in the USA:
- Physician Assistant: $97,000
- Registered Nurses – $70,000
- Research Scientist – $67000
- Software Engineer – $81000
- Public Affairs Officer – $65000
- Business Analyst, IT – $55000
- Design Architect – $60000
- Marketing Manager – $64000
Top industries in the USA that employ international candidates:
- Life Sciences
- Home healthcare services
- Educational services
- Financial and Banking services
- Consumer products and services
- Mining/Oil and Gas
- Leisure and Hospitality
What to do After Completing your UG Course in the USA?
The F1 visa permits to stay for 60 days after completion of the degree, after which, students have to apply for one of the following visas:
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) where students can receive up to 12 months – 24 of OPT employment.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) where students get an opportunity to apply for a 24-month extension if they have been granted the initial 12-month post-completion OPT and are currently in the valid period of OPT.
- Post-completion OPT where students can stay and work in the United States for 12 months.
- The H-1B visa, an employment-based, non-immigrant visa where students can live and work for up to 6 years in the US.
Did this blog help you curb all your curiosity? We hope it did for sure!
Follow us at Collzy for similar content!