In order to help students to pursue their dream of higher education abroad, various scholarship schemes are provided by the government of India in order to cover their tuition fees, living expenses, travel expenses and other related costs. Scholarships are being provided by the Indian government to students to study abroad for many years. This article provides you with an idea of the top scholarships offered by the Indian government which you must know if you have the passion to study abroad.
Many students from India dream of studying at the best universities across the world which include Howard, Princeton, MIT, etc. However, this dream can’t be fulfilled by many students and one of the main causes for not being able to fulfil this dream is financial reasons. Therefore, in order to help students to pursue their dream of higher education abroad, various scholarship schemes are provided by the government of India in order to cover their tuition fees, living expenses, travel expenses and other related costs.
Scholarships are being provided by the Indian government to students to study abroad for many years. This article provides you with an idea of the top scholarships offered by the Indian government which you must know if you have the passion to study abroad.
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship is a need and merit-based scholarship offered by the Indian government. This scholarship provides outstanding students from India with an opportunity to pursue a master’s degree program in the United States at selected colleges and universities. It is a one or two-year fellowship program. Students who have done a bachelor’s degree equivalent to the United States, have good leadership qualities and have three years of minimum professional work experience can avail themselves of this scholarship.
From their area of interest, the candidate must choose one field of study that may include Arts and Culture Management, Environmental Science, Economics, International Affairs, Urban and Regional Planning, Higher Education Administration, Journalism and Mass Communication, International Legal Studies, Public Health, Public Administration, and Women’s Studies/ Gender Studies.
Eligibility criteria for Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
- From an acknowledged Indian university, the candidate must have a bachelor’s degree equivalent to the United States with a minimum of 55% marks.
- Relevant to the specified field of study, the candidate must have a full-time (paid) professional work experience of a minimum of three years.
- The candidate should have community service experience and leadership qualities.
- The candidate must not have another degree from any university in the United States or must not be enrolled in a U.S. degree program.
- If the candidate is employed, regarding the employer’s endorsement, they should follow the instructions carefully.
Benefits of Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
- Support for J-1 visa
- Funding for tuition fees, living, travel and other associated expenses
- Economy class round-trip air travel from the home city of the candidate to the U.S.
- As per the guidelines of the US government, accident and sickness coverage
The Indian government also partners with the same foundation to provide two other scholarships besides Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships. The scholarships include:
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship for Indian Ph.D. students
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships for Indian Ph.D. students
National Overseas Scholarship
The National Overseas Scholarship has been launched by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in order to promote social and economic justice. Through this scholarship, low-income students from Scheduled Castes, Landless Agricultural Labourers, Scheduled Tribes, and Traditional Artisans are facilitated to pursue Master’s, PhD, and Post-Doctoral courses abroad.
Eligibility Criteria for National Overseas Scholarship
- The candidate must not be above 35 years of age.
- A minimum of 60 per cent must be scored by the candidate in the qualifying examination. For the Master’s degree course, the Bachelor’s degree is the qualifying examination. For the PhD course, the Master’s Degree is the qualifying examination.
- In the previous financial year, the family income from all sources must be less than INR 8,00,000.
- To a maximum of two members of the family, the scholarship can be awarded.
- For female candidates, 30 per cent of seats are reserved for female candidates.
Benefits of National Overseas Scholarship
- Tuition fees, book costs, visa fees, and living expenses
- Premium Medical insurance
- Poll tax
- Incidental journey allowance and air tickets
- Fee of Maintenance
- Contingency allowance
The JN Tata Endowment – Higher Education of Indians
A one-time loan scholarship is awarded under the J. N. Tata Endowment to Indian students. This will enable them to pursue full-time PG, PhD, Postdoctoral, and Research fellowships abroad. The amount of the loan ranges between INR 1,00,000 to INR 10,00,000. The whole cost of studies is not covered under this scholarship. However, a partial travel grant of up to INR 50,000 is provided to selected scholars.
In order to be eligible for the selection, the candidates have to undergo an online test and interview. The online test is based on the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) and is not subject-specific. Through the rigorous technical interview, the understanding of the candidate in current and future subjects is evaluated. The final selection is completely dependent on the test score of the candidate, academic results scores and interview performance.
Eligibility Criteria for the JN Tata Endowment Scholarship
- The candidate should be a citizen of India.
- They must be below 45 years of age.
- With a minimum of 60 per cent marks, the candidate must have a graduate degree from a recognized university in India.
- Candidates who were not able to avail themselves of the loan scholarship previously are also eligible to apply.
Benefits of the JN Tata Endowment Scholarship
- A Scholarship loan amount ranging between INR 1,00,000 and INR 10,00,000 is provided.
- A Partial travel grant of up to INR 50,000.
- Moreover, a Gift award worth INR 2,00,000 to INR 7,50,000 is offered.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees are Masters’s level study programs. Funding is provided by the EU in order to award scholarships to students from India in order to pursue these programs. Through an international partnership of higher education institutions (HEIs), an EMJM study program is designed and delivered.
At least three HEIs from three different countries are involved in EMJM. From them, two countries must be EU member states. Therefore, a chance is given to the students to study in at least two countries in Europe. Tuition fees, insurance premiums, air travel, and living expenses are included in this scholarship. However, the scholarship amount depends on the selected course and the country.
Eligibility Criteria for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
- Only Indian nationals are eligible for this scholarship.
- In the last five years, the candidate should not have resided for more than a year in any European country.
- Under Erasmus Mundus Action 2 scheme, the candidate should not have been awarded a similar scholarship.
- The candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience.
Benefits of the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
- A Monthly stipend of up to 1500 Euros
- Full tuition fee
- Travel allowance.
- Round-trip air travel
- Job Visa after completing Master’s/PhD.
Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded to Indian women graduates under the Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust. This will help in supporting their tuition fee in order to pursue higher education abroad. Candidates who have been shortlisted for the scholarship will have to attend a personal or an online interview with the board of trustees in order to be considered for the scholarship.
INR 3,60,000 is awarded under the scholarship as a tuition fee component per selected candidate. This will depend solely on the performance of the candidate in the interview. A copy of the ‘Financial Capacity’ document must be submitted by the selected candidate. This document must reflect her ability to support her education.
Scholarships are awarded for Psychology, Education, Sociology, Law (specializing in issues related to women and children related issues), Gender studies (domestic violence and other issues concerning Indian women), Mental health, Child health, Needs of adolescents, Public health, Community Development, Communication for development, Public Policy, Rural Development, Public Administration, and Social work in areas like Women in Prison under The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust.
Eligibility Criteria for Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
- The candidate must be a citizen of India and must be a female.
- The candidate must be a graduate of a reputed university. They must have an excellent academic record.
- The candidate must have secured admission or must have applied to a reputed university from the U.S., U.K., or Europe.
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience must be possessed by the candidate.
Benefits of Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
- A tuition fee of up to INR 3,60,000 is offered to selected candidates.
Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
Ms. Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship is a fully funded Government scholarship. This scholarship is offered for one candidate to study at St. Antony College, Oxford University London. The fellowship is administered exclusively by the Ministry of HRD. The scholarship primarily targets students who are interested in pursuing an academic career in Political Science, Economics and History.
Eligibility Criteria for Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
- The candidate must be a citizen of India permanently.
- They must be between 30 to 40 years of age.
- At the Master’s degree level, the candidate should have scored a minimum of 60 per cent marks.
- In the subject field, the candidate should have a PhD degree. Otherwise, they must have published works of equal merit.
- The candidate should possess a specialization in political science, economics and history.
- At the Graduate or Postgraduate level, the candidate should have at least three years of teaching experience.
Benefits of the Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
- Round-trip economy class airfare for the candidate. The airfare is also provided for the spouse if the spouse stays in the U.K. for one year.
- Travel allowance
- Allowance for College lunch
- Administration charges
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program
Students are offered a remarkable opportunity to study in universities in Canada, the United States, France, Portugal and the United Kingdom through the Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships. Thus, Therefore, in order to study abroad, it is one of the most sought-after scholarships offered by the Indian government.
Benefits of the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program
- A 50% loan and 50% grant amount are provided under this scholarship.
- Applications for Master’s programs are given a high preference. However, one must look for other scholarship options for short-term programs such as certifications and postgraduate diplomas.
- The display of consistent academic effort and excellence is included in the selection process for this scholarship program. In addition to this, the candidate must demonstrate a genuine requirement for financial support in order to avail themselves of the scholarship.
Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
Researchers working towards climate change-related studies and research are funded through the Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship program.
Eligibility for Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
- Indian scholars who possess a PhD qualification from a recognized institution in India are eligible for this scholarship.
- Indian researchers who are beginning their careers and are in need of financial resources in order to sustain their work are benefitted from this scholarship. However, the work must be specifically related to climate studies and related research activities.
Thank you for reading! Please submit your details in the link below in order to help us reach out and help you with your college admission queries.
To know about counselling for Abroad studies and more Information like this make sure to visit our site Collzy now!