Ph.D. in UK
- According to the records published by the QS World University Rankings in the year 2018, a total of four universities in the UK have been ranked in the top 10 list. These include the University of Cambridge (Rank 5), University of Oxford (Rank 6), University College London (Rank 7), and Imperial College London (Rank 8).
- The same records also show that 16 UK universities have been ranked in the top 100 list.
- About 5% of the scientific research around the world takes place in the universities and research institutes in the UK.
- Around 14% of the world’s important scientific research papers are authored by scholars from UK universities.
- According to the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Report for 2017-2018, the UK was ranked in the eighth position globally.
Some Top Universities for Ph.D.
- University of Cambridge
- University College London
- University of Manchester
- Kings College, London
- Imperial College London
- University of Edinburgh
- London School of Economics
- University of Glasgow
- University of Warwick
Why study PhD in UK
|Education||Cost||Location||Exposure||Job and career opportunities|
|Top infrastructure and resources to conduct quality research||Duration of Ph.D. programs smaller than of other countries||Closer to other European nations||Diverse Classroom||Limitless Job/Post-doctoral research Opportunities|
|Excellent educational programs||Academic aids granted to students||Less travel time between countries||Cross-cultural exposure||Robust Economy|
Ph.D. in UK Popular Fields of Study
- Computer Science
- Biomedical Engineering
Ph.D. in UK Program Duration & Cost
A Ph.D. program in UK universities is for 3-4 years. The cost of the Ph.D. programs can be around £18,000 for the international students in the first three years.
Check out some of the top Ph.D. programs (alongside their fee structure) opted by the Indian candidates from the universities in the UK:
|Program||Per Annum Fees (GBP)|
|Ph.D. in Computer Science||22,200-33,250|
|Ph.D. in Medical Science||24,000- 32,352|
|Ph.D. in Engineering||22,704- 32,352|
|Ph.D. in Sociology||19,338-24,450|
|Ph.D. in Law||18,740-25,758|
Here’s a few scholarships that Indian candidates can apply for:
|University of Oxford||Ertegun Graduate Scholarship Programme in the Humanities|
|Oxford-E P Abraham Research Fund Graduate Scholarships|
|University of Cambridge||Gates Cambridge|
|Imperial College London||President’s Ph.D. Scholarship|
|University College London||UCL Overseas Research Scholarship|
|University of Edinburgh||School Doctoral Scholarship|
|University of Manchester||Research Impact Ph.D. Scholarship|
|King’s College London||Hans Rausing Scholarship|
Ph.D. in UK Eligibility
- Candidates must have a Master\’s degree qualification.
- Candidates must have secured a high GRE, and IELTS score.
- Candidates who have previously published papers or have worked in the corporate world are given priorities.
Note: As a Ph.D. candidate, candidates must have a good network with a UK professor who can supervise their research and thesis work. For this, candidates must send out a detailed letter to the respective professors and wait for them to reply.
Ph.D. in UK Intake & Application Deadlines
There are two intakes available for Ph.D. candidates in the universities of the UK. These include the January or February intake and the September or October intake.
We recommend the students to apply for the applications at the earliest opportunity and not wait till the last minute to submit their respective applications. The scholarship and studentship deadlines are usually five to six months before the start of the academic course. From researching the right course options, preparing the thesis topic, contacting the right supervisors and collating the application, there’s just so much to do! Therefore, a student should apply for admissions as fast as they can and avoid doing things haphazardly at the last minute.
Ph.D. in UK Important documents needed at the time of admissions
- College Transcripts
- Detailed Resume
- Scanned Copy of Passport
- Some universities additionally ask for a research proposal
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
Check out some of the top job opportunities for Indian candidates after completing their Ph.D. programs from a university in the UK:
|Job Role||Annual Salary (in GBP)|
|Senior Software Engineer||71,000|
|Postdoctoral Research Associate||31,000|
|Senior Research Scientist||43,000|
Student Visa Important Terms and Provisions
Check out the important terms and conditions that one needs to keep in mind before applying for a student visa in the United Kingdom.
- UK student visas are based on the PBS or the Point Based System. Candidates must have the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for a full-time degree course by a university that has decided to sponsor their education to be eligible for the Tier 4 (General Visa).
- After completion of the Ph.D. course in the UK, candidates can apply for a post-study work visa for one year.
Learn about the different study opportunities in India at www.collzy.com
1 thought on “Planning to get your Ph.D. from the UK? Know details here.”