- The Delhi University’s executive council passed the Undergraduate Curriculum Framework formulated according to the National Education Policy for the 2022-2023 academic session. Three EC’s members stated that concerns have been brushed aside while passing this hurried UGCF.
- In the academic council meeting held on Wednesday, the UGCF was passed for which 11 members dissented against its implementation. The UGCF includes two features such as the multidisciplinary approach and the multiple entries and exit scheme in line with the NEP.
- One of the DU EC members stated that the mistakes of the FYUP implemented in 2013 is being repeated. Some others claim that it would lead to privatization of education and job losses for the teachers due to the reduction of workload.
- The Democratic Teachers Front said that it has become a responsibility to build a movement along with students to ensure that public higher education is not destroyed. An EC and NDTF member stated that UGCF has been approved in DU EC and the teachers have been assured that no one shall be displaced due to workload issues.
- UGCF has been approved by incorporating changes in languages, sports and optional courses to have more interdisciplinarity and flexibility. The existing Ability Enhancement Compulsory Courses included English/Hindi/MIL as languages. However, the proposed structure of the Ability Enhancement Courses consists of only Indian languages and does not include English.
- The removal of the English language will lead to the reduction of workload for the English teachers. English has also been removed from the compulsory languages in the course structure of the multidisciplinary programs.
Read Related Articles :