This article discusses the entire syllabus in detail along with some preparation tips and strategies that will be essential through your journey of CUET. The candidates are advised to review the syllabus of history thoroughly. They must also start their preparations as early as possible for CUET in order to ensure that they are in line with their peers.
The National Testing Agency has released the history syllabus for the Common University Entrance Test Undergraduate 2023 (CUET UG 2023) on its official website. This article discusses the entire syllabus in detail along with some preparation tips and strategies that will be essential through your journey of CUET. The candidates are advised to review the syllabus of history thoroughly. They must also start their preparations as early as possible for CUET in order to ensure that they are in line with their peers.
Under Section II of the Domain-Specific Subjects, History is one of 27 subjects offered by CUET. The syllabus for CUET for the history domain includes many crucial chapters such as Political and Economic History, Harappan Archaeology, Religious histories, A history of Buddhism, Social histories using the Mahabharata and Medieval Society. Many students aspire to pursue this course and it is considered one of the many popular UG subjects. Therefore, the competition for this course is expected to be tough.
How to begin your preparation for CUET UG 2023 History?
In order to score well in the examination, you have to be completely ready. This can be done by adopting various strategic measures to ensure thorough preparation. Before you begin your preparation, you must know two crucial things. They include the exam patterns and the syllabus. Through these two criteria, you will have an overview of the exam. Moreover, you will be able to plan better for your preparations. Below is the exam pattern for History CUET UG 2023.
CUET UG 2023 – The detailed exam pattern
- It has been officially announced by the NTA that the syllabus of history for CUET will only include the NCERT syllabus from standard 12.
- For History, one Question Paper will be offered and candidates must attempt 40 questions out of the given 50 questions.
- The paper will be offered for a maximum of 200 marks. Moreover, for each wrong answer, one mark will be deducted.
- The duration of the examination will be 45 minutes and the question types will be objective (MCQs).
- The examination will be in a Computer-Based Test (CBT) mode in online.
CUET is a centralised entrance exam. This exam gives an equal and common opportunity to all students across the country in order to acquire a seat in the undergraduate course that they desire in a reputed university or college.
CUET UG 2023 – Important Details
- For Undergraduate admission to over 100 universities, CUET will be a gateway.
- 13 different languages which will serve as a medium of instruction for CUET.
- The mode of examination will be online in Computer Based Test (CBT) mode.
- Also, the examination will be conducted in two shifts namely, the Morning and Afternoon shifts.
CUET UG 2023 – History Syllabus
Students must not waste their time anymore as they have only very little time remaining for the exam. Thus, it is necessary to go through the syllabus in detail before directly jumping onto your planning for preparations.
UNIT 1 – The Story of the First Cities Harappan Archaeology
- Broad overview: Early urban centres in the Harappan Civilization.
- Story of discovery: Existence of urban centres in the Harappan civilization.
- Excerpt: Archaeological reports excavated on a major site.
- Discussion: How the archaeologists/ historians utilized it.
UNIT 2 – Political and Economic History: How Inscriptions tell a story
- Broad overview: Mauryan to Gupta period – Political and economic history.
- Story of discovery: Decipherings of the inscriptions and the script along with the changes in the understanding of political and economic history with time.
- Excerpt: From the Inscriptions of Ashoka and land grants offered during the Gupta period.
- Discussion: The Historians’ Interpretation of inscriptions.
UNIT 3 – Social Histories using the Mahabharata
- Broad overview: Issues in social history – caste, class, kinship, and gender.
- Story of discovery: Publications of the Mahabharata and other transmissions.
- Excerpt: From the Mahabharata and its illustrations by historians.
UNIT 4 – A History of Buddhism: Sanchi Stupa
- Broad overview: A brief review of religious histories of Vedic religion, Jainism, Vaishnavism, and Saivism followed by a major Focus on Buddhism.
- Story of discovery: From the Sanchi stupa.
- Excerpt: Sculpture reproduction from Sanchi.
- Discussion: Interpretation of sculptures and other sources by historians in order to reconstruct the history of Buddhism.
UNIT 5 – Medieval society through Travellers’ Accounts
- Broad Overview: Detailed outline of social and cultural life according to the accounts of travellers.
- Story of their writings: A discussion of where and why they travelled, what they wrote and for whom they wrote.
- Excerpts: Writings of Alberuni, Ibn Battuta, Bernier.
- Discussion: Interpretation of these travel accounts by historians.
UNIT 6 – Religious Histories: The Bhakti-Sufi Tradition
- Broad Overview: Outline of religious developments during this period and Ideas and practices of the Bhakti-Sufi saints.
- Story of Transmission: Preservations of Bhakti-Sufi compositions.
- Excerpt: Extracts taken from selected Bhakti Sufi works.
- Discussion: Interpretation of these works by historians.
UNIT 7 – New Architecture: Hampi
- Broad Overview: Outline of new buildings during the Vijayanagar period such as temples, forts and irrigation facilities and the Relationship between their architecture and the political system.
- Story of Discovery: Accounts on the discovery of Hampi.
- Excerpt: Building Visuals at Hampi.
- Discussion: Analysis and Interpretation of these structures by historians.
UNIT 8 – Agrarian Relations: The Ain-i-Akbari
- Broad overview: Structure of agrarian relations in the 16th and 17th centuries and their change of Patterns over the period.
- Story of Discovery: Account of the compilation of Ain-i-Akbari.
- Excerpt: Taken directly from the Ain-i-Akbari
- Discussion: Methods of Reconstruction of history by historians by using the text.
UNIT 9 – The Mughal Court: Reconstructing Histories through Chronicles
- Broad Overview: Outline of political history c. 15th-17th centuries and the Discussion of Mughal court and politics.
- Story of Discovery: Account of the court chronicles and their subsequent transmission.
- Excerpts: Taken directly from Akbarnama and Padshahnama.
- Discussion: Methods of Reconstruction of history by historians by using the text.
UNIT 10 – Colonialism and Rural Society: Evidence from Official Reports
- Broad overview: Life of zamindars, peasants, and artisans in the late 18th century. East India Company, revenue settlements, and surveys. Prominent Changes over the nineteenth century.
- Story of official records: Reasons behind Official investigations into rural societies. Analysis of the types of records and reports produced.
- Excerpts: Taken directly from Firminger’s Fifth Report, Accounts of Francis Buchanan-Hamilton and Deccan Riots Report.
- Discussion: Information from Official records and their usage by historians.
UNIT 11 – Representations of 1857
- Broad Overview: The events of 1857-58 and their records and narrations.
- Focus: The city of Lucknow.
- Excerpts: Pictures of 1857 and Extracts from contemporary accounts.
- Discussion: Shaping of the British opinion of what had happened through the pictures of 1857.
UNIT 12 – Colonialism and Indian Towns: Town Plans and Municipal Reports
- Broad Overview: The growth of Chennai, Mumbai, hill stations, and cantonments in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Excerpts: Taken from Photographs and paintings, plans of cities and Extract from town plan reports. Main Focus must be given to Kolkata town planning.
- Discussion: Way of using the above sources to reconstruct the history of towns and a detailed analysis of what these sources do not reveal.
UNIT 13 – Mahatma Gandhi through Contemporary Eyes
- Broad Overview: The nationalist movement between 1918 and 48. The nature of Gandhian politics and leadership.
- Focus: Activities of Mahatma Gandhi in 1931.
- Excerpts: Taken from the Reports of English and Indian language newspapers. Also, excerpts from other contemporary writings are counted.
- Discussion: Analysis of newspapers as a source of history.
UNIT 14 – Partition through Oral Sources
- Broad Overview: The history of the 1940s and the Nationalism, Communalism, and Partition that took place.
- Focus: Areas of Punjab and Bengal.
- Excerpts: Taken majorly from Oral testimonies of people who experienced partition.
- Discussion: Analysis and Interpretations by historians to reconstruct the history of the event.
UNIT 15 – The Making of the Constitution
- Broad Overview: Independence and the new nation-state. The making of the Constitution.
- Focus: Mainly analyse the Constitutional Assembly debates.
- Excerpts: Taken majorly from the debates.
- Discussion: Interpretation of such debates and their analysis.
Preparation Strategy for CUET UG 2023
You can get a detailed idea of the syllabus once you go through these 15 chapters. Therefore, now you can easily plan and execute the strategies in order to ensure success for yourselves. The next question that may arise in your mind is how to start your preparations. This article provides you with some tips and a detailed strategy in order to help you cope with the subject workload.
Preparation Tips for History – CUET UG 2023
Compared to other important subjects, History is fundamentally different. Therefore, your approach must be adaptive. Moreover, more than conceptual clarity and understanding, importance must be given to the facts, figures, and data. Therefore, a person opting for history must have a strong memorizing ability. This retention ability comes naturally for some students. However, for others who do not have it, it can be developed by being methodical and regular in practice. Below are a few tips and tricks to help you in memorising and retaining the subject knowledge effectively.
- Make short pointers by using sticky notes. This will serve as a potential guide in your studies.
- You must Highlight the crucial points and important dates as it will help a lot while revising.
- In order to remember all the important historical events, you must make a chronologically arranged table.
- Mind mapping is very crucial and effective if it is done properly. You will be able to connect one event to another through this. Therefore, this will assist you in remembering easily.
- Attempt test papers and practice continuously by taking mock tests.
Preparation Strategy for History CUET UG 2023
Choose your sources wisely
If you have a brief idea of the syllabus, you will know the important things that you need to go through. However, it is always a difficult task to choose the source. The class 12 NCERT textbook will be handy. However, the use of other secondary sources might be a problem. It is often misleading and confusing if you use too many unreliable sources. Therefore, choose the minimum number of sources wisely.
Stick to the strategy and timetable
You can not afford distraction at this moment. You must have thorough concentration and dedication in order to score well in CUET. The primary demand is to be able to follow the strategy regularly. Through a timetable, you can achieve discipline and a sincere approach. With these two things, the task for you becomes handy.
Regular Practice and Revision
The history syllabus portion deals majorly with facts, figures, and dates. Therefore, you must practice and revise as many times as possible through which you can attain perfection. Through bullet list pointers and a list of short notes, you can save time during revision. You must then solve practice sample papers and mock tests continuously.
Thank you for reading! Please submit your details in the link below in order to help us reach out and help you with your college admission queries.
To know about counselling for Abroad studies and more Information like this make sure to visit our site Collzy now!