- Tamil Nadu Open University was established in 2002 in Chennai. It is the first Open University of Tamil Nadu and It is accorded by the UGC as 5th among the 15 Open Universities.
- The University comprises a student strength of around 11 lakhs in 218 Programmes of study in various disciplines from Certificate to Post-Graduate level. The University imparts education through 13 Academic Schools, 5 Support Divisions, 1 Media Centre and 515 Learner Support and Service Centres across the State.
The University faculties:
- Faculty of Arts
- School of History and Tourism Studies
- School of Journalism and New Media Studies
- Library and Information Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Politics and Public Administration
- School of Criminology and Criminal Justice Administration
- Faculty of Sciences
- School of Science
- School of Computer Science
- Faculty of Indian and Foreign Languages
- School of Tamil and Cultural Studies
- School of Humanities
- Faculty of Extension Education
- School of Continuing Education
- Faculty of Education
- School of Education
- School of Special Education and Rehabilitation
- Faculty of Management
- School of Management Studies
Courses Offered by Tamil Nadu Open University at the Undergraduate Level:
Eligible for candidates who have passed 10+2 or equivalent in the recognized stream.
- B.A. (13 Courses)
- B.Lit. (Tamil)
- B.Com. (5 Courses)
- B.B.A. (4 Courses)
- B.Sc. (12 Courses)
- B.P.A. Drama and Theatre Studies
Courses Offered by Tamil Nadu Open University at the Postgraduate Level:
Eligible for candidates who have passed Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the recognized stream.
- M.A. (15 Courses)
- M.B.A. (4 Courses)
- M.Sc. (11 Courses)
- M.C.A. (Regular/ Lateral Entry)
Other Courses offered by Tamil Nadu Open University:
- Diploma (4 Courses): Eligible for Candidates who have passed 10+2 or equivalent.
- PG Diploma (3 Courses): Eligible for candidates who have passed Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Vocational Diploma (14 Courses): Eligible for Candidates who have passed 10+2 or equivalent.
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship Development: Eligible for Candidates who have passed 10th or equivalent.
Add on courses :
- In addition to the above courses, the University also provides Fellowship and M.Phil. and Ph.D. for students who have passed Master’s degree in the relevant stream.
- A Community College of the Tamil Nadu Open University offers Vocational and Skill Development Programmes. Eligible Candidates are those who have passed 12th, school dropout, rural youth, rural women, existing workforce who want to update their skills and those who want skill-based and need-based education. The Constituent Community College is located in Chennai and Villupuram.
- The University is equipped with a centre for online learning which aims to design, develop and deliver high quality, accessible and receptive academic programmes to the learners and to provide innovative, affordable, flexible and diversified academic programs for enhancing the learners.
College Facilities :
- The Electronic Media Production and Research Centre produces high-quality audio/visual programmes and develops multimedia content along with engaging in conducting lectures through video conferencing on education-related topics. Laboratories that are highly equipped are made available for the students to gain knowledge practically along with real-time exposure.
- Cells such as Anti-Ragging Cell, BC/MBC Cell, Environment Cell, Internal Harassment Cell, National Innovation Cell, Person with Disability Cell, Equal Opportunity Cell, Students Grievance Cell, Women Cell and Research Advisory Committee can be facilitated by the students for their benefit.
- Tamil Nadu Open University has a Central Library which has a collection of around 26 thousand books and 1000 e-resources on various subjects. The Library extends Reference and Circulation Service for the use of the students and faculty members.
- Hostel services are provided separately for both boys and girls along with hygienic and healthy food. A food court with cleaned kitchens and dining halls serves hygienic food. The University is also equipped with a medical team that attends to the medical needs of the members on campus along with a pharmacy that offers medicines and other healthcare necessities.
Co Curricural Activites :
- Sports activities and participation in competitive sports events are encouraged by the University. Students are provided with facilities for sports events such as Rowing, Boxing, Powerlifting, Taekwondo, Rollball and more.
Placement Cell :
- The Placement Cell provides employment opportunities to the students of the University. It aims at creating awareness on the employment opportunities among the students, provide employment training for students online and organise job fairs for Learners. It has also tied with leading online educational sectors for introducing programs to inculcate the employable skills among the students of the University.
For more information like this do register yourself at Collzy now !
Follow our social for regular updates