The University Grants Commission has declared 24 universities as fake and found two more in violation of the norms in response to the question posed by Lok Sabha on whether the government has taken note of the fake and non-recognized universities in the country.
The List of fake universities was generated based on the complaints received from students, parents, the general public and electronic point media. Indian Institute of Planning and Management, New Delhi and Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, UP was also found violating the UGC Act 1956.
Uttar Pradesh has eight fake universities namely:
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Allahabad
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith, Allahabad
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Open University, Aligarh
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Noida
Delhi has seven fake universities namely:
- Commercial University Ltd
- Vocational University
- United Nations University
- ADR Centric Juridical University
- Vishwakarma Open University for Self Employment
- Indian Institution of Science and Engineering
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya
Public notices are issued by the UGC about the list of fake institutes and Universities in National Newspapers and letters are written to the Education secretaries, state chief secretaries and principal secretaries to take action against such universities located in their jurisdiction. Warning notices are also issued to the unauthorized institutes that award invalid degrees when a self-styled institution is found to violate the UGC Act of 1956.