What are the educational requirements to study for international students to study in Canada? What are some of the best undergraduate courses to pursue in Canada? How can international candidates apply for admissions to UG courses in Canada?
If you are someone who wants to continue their higher education in Canada after passing your 12th standard, then you’ve come to the perfect destination to get educated on all the important points you need to keep in mind while applying for admissions.
Read on to discover the eligibility, fees details, and other associated details about pursuing a UG in Canada.
UG Course in Canada- Overview
- UG programs in Canada are for four years. The institutes in Canada offer degrees, diplomas, and certificates from a certified college or university. The provincial government in Canada controls the educational system and the Federal Government oversees the smooth functioning of these educational institutes.
UG Course in Canada Eligibility
- The eligibility of a candidate for admissions into respective courses is determined by calculating their academic records in the GPA system.
- Candidates need to also apply for an entrance test to be eligible for admission into a UD course in the Canadian Universities. The entrance tests include-
1. IELTS or, International English Language Testing System
2. TOEFL or, Test of English as a Foreign Language
Candidates need to have a minimum TOEFL score of 70-89 and an IELTS score in the range of 6-7 to be eligible for applying to Canadian universities/colleges. The TOEFL and IELTS scores remain valid for 2 years.
Other factors that determine whether or not candidates shall be granted admissions to a course in the Canadian Universities include extracurricular activities, leadership skills, SOP, letter of recommendation, etc.
UG Course in Canada Intake and Application Deadlines
The process for admissions into various degree programs in Canada takes place two times a year:
- Fall Admissions in September
- Winter Admissions in January
- Diploma programs grants admissions in January, May, August/September
There is a high number of applicants who apply for admissions every year. It is highly recommended that you apply for admissions at an early phase. This is because Canadian Universities usually take 8-10 weeks to process the application forms.
UG Course in Canada Duration
There are 4 types of UG courses in Canada that a candidate can opt for after passing their 12th:
- An Associate Degree is a two-year program. It’s offered at a community college.
- Bachelor’s Degree: It’s a three to a four-year program. It is offered at colleges, universities, or specialized institutes. A three years course requires you to have 90 credits and a four years course requires you to have 120 credits.
- Diploma courses usually last for 2 years.
- Certificate courses are for 8 months to about a year. It prepares candidates for entry-level jobs.
UG Course in Canada Tuition Fees
- The average cost of pursuing an undergraduate degree in Canada ranges from CAD 14,000-25,000 per year. Candidates can apply for various scholarships offered to international candidates such as the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, York University International Scholarship, University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students, Vancouver Island University International Regional Scholarship.
UG Course in Canada Important Documents for admissions:
Students who are looking to take admissions in Canada must have the following documents available with them:
- Transcripts/Final Marks Sheets (Class 9, 10, 11, and 12)
- Official Test Score Reports
- Scanned Copy of Passport
- Financial Documents
- Letters of Recommendations
- Portfolio for Fine Arts programs like Architecture, Dance and Music (If applicable)
Why choose to study a UG Course in Canada?
Take a look at what makes Canada a preferred destination for international students:
- Most universities in Canada are ranked in the top 50 educational institutes in the world. The Government in Canada also grants special attention to encouraging quality education because of which the academic standards of the Canadian Universities have soared to new heights. Quality education, top faculties, and limitless educational resources supported with a strong framework for higher education have made Canada a popular pick for abroad studies.
- The cost of studying in Canada is comparatively less to the cost of studying in other abroad countries. Also, both private and public educational institutes in Canada grant financial aids to the students.
- Canada is a country that encourages international students to seek jobs, provided they have the right set of skills and qualifications. Students can get a permit to stay back in Canada post completing their studies and work for three years.
- Canada has registered itself as a hub for industries and has made great advancements in sectors such as based blockchain and artificial intelligence, generating numerous employment opportunities. This has opened up plenty of job opportunities for the newly graduates.
- Canadian degree is internationally recognized, so if one has graduated with a degree from any University in Canada, they can put their degree to use anywhere in the entire world.
Types of Education Institutions for UG Course in Canada
- Degree-granting institutes which provide degree-level education. These types of degrees are offered at the post-secondary level by universities, university colleges, colleges, institutes of technology, and specialized institutes.
- Non-Degree granting institutes consist of recognized public colleges and private registered ones that offer vocational programs. The institutes that are non-degree granting include community colleges, colleges of applied arts and technology, institutes of technology and advanced learning, private academies, and institutes. The colleges under this category also offer courses of shorter duration.
Quick facts to Keep in Mind while Applying for UG Course in Canada
- The education system in Canada and its associated policies are quite contrasting to that of the policies followed at other colleges and universities across the world. Although it is the Federal government that oversees the education system in Canada the provincial government is the one to truly control it.
- Some colleges in Canada follow centralized admission procedures, however, there are other Universities and colleges where candidates need to apply for admissions in the respective educational institutes.
- It is important for candidates who are applying for a UG in Canada to ensure that the educational institute of their choice is registered under the designated learning institutes (DLI) list. This DLI institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.
- The Government of Canada is not responsible for the medical expenses of foreign students.
- International candidates can apply for part-time off-campus work. They are allowed to work 20 hours a week on or off-campus. If a degree includes an internship or any job opportunities, the students need to get a work permit before taking up any type of work.
UG Course in Canada Top Colleges
Check out the top UG courses that you can pursue in Canada as part of your high studies:
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor in Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Public Affairs
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Philosophy
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Design with
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management
UG Course in Canada Top Colleges
Check out the list of top universities in Canada for Undergraduate Degree programs according to the 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings:
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- University of Montreal
- University of Alberta
UG in Canada Salary and Job opportunities
Top job opportunities for international candidates in Canada:
- Human Resources- $48,000
- Financial Services- $52,000
- IT & Software Development $53,000
- Consulting, Accounting & Professional Services- $61,000
Top industries in Canada that employ international candidates:
- Information Technology
- Banking & Financial Services
- Aerospace & Defence
- Engineering & Manufacturing
- Drugs & Biotechnology
- Transportation & logistics
What to do After Completing your UG Course in Canada?
- International students are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (or PGWP) to gain Canadian work experience, provided they have completed their post-secondary education in Canada. This PGWP offers candidates the opportunity to work in Canada for three years after the completion of their studies.
- The Canadian Government also has the authority to provide the Post-Graduation Work Permit to international students. This is issued to retain the candidates as skilled individuals who can impart to the development of the country
- This provides the candidates selected with the freedom to pick any Canadian employer in any industry. Certain Government policies are also imposed to make it easier for the students to apply for PR in Canada.
- Are you planning to continue your higher education abroad? If so, we hope this blog helped you get a basic idea of what you can expect from pursuing a UG course in Canada.
Follow us at Collzy for more Information like this !