Bachelor of Arts honours or BA (Hons.) is the most pursued undergraduate course in various specializations such as Political Science, History, English, Hindi, Sanskrit and Psychology in India after class 12.
Admissions for BA (Hons.) courses begin in the month of June 2022 for which an aspirant is required to take up an entrance examination and must have a minimum eligibility criterion of 55% marks in class 12.
BA (Hons.) and BA Regular are completely different programs and BA (Hons.) offers a more extensive curriculum and more papers for each specialization in a three-year duration. Students prefer BA (Hons.) the most as it offers a variety of subject knowledge when compared to a regular BA program.
BA (Hons.) is an undergraduate course which belongs to the field of arts and is of three-year duration. The admission criteria are based on a merit list or an entrance exam and this program aims to help the students build high skills, and versatility and become independent thinkers with research experience and communication skills.
This course can be pursued full-time, distance or online mode and working professionals or students who wish to pursue this course at their comfort level can choose distance learning mode. After completion of BA (Hons.), one can opt for post-graduation studies in a number of alternate fields.
The candidate must hold a higher secondary passing certificate from any recognized board to opt for BA (Hons.) and the average fees range from INR 20,000 to INR 80,000 depending upon the college.
Students choose careers such as Teacher, Banker, Lawyer, Content Writer, Political Analyst, Journalist, Human Resource Manager, etc., after their BA (Hons.) degree and the average salary after choosing BA (Hons.) is 4,00,000-9,00,000 per annum.
The major difference between a regular BA and a BA (Hons.) is that the admissions to BA (Hons.) are based on merit as well as an entrance while the admissions to regular BA are through merit alone. Moreover, the pay scale for BA (Hons.) is from 4,00,000-8,00,000 per annum while that of regular BA is from 2,50,000-4,50,000 per annum.
Candidates who are looking forward to a bright future in the fields of novelist, teaching, journalist, technical writer, tutor, advisor and guide can choose BA (Hons.) as it provides a fine base for the specialization in their particular subject with a masters degree. This course involves a lot of practice experience along with interdisciplinary theoretical practice.
Students can do this course right after completing their higher secondary. Top colleges that offer BA (Hons.) consider students with more than 95% marks for admissions and thus, a candidate must aim to score good marks in class 12 to get admitted to the best college in India. Moreover, there is no need to take a drop year or pursue any other course before opting for a BA (Hons.)
Admissions to BA (Hons.) take place through the following processes:
- Top colleges such as Hindu College and St. Stephens College admit students through a merit-based procedure.
- Universities such as Banaras Hindu University and others admit students into the course based on the marks obtained in the entrance examinations conducted by the respective universities.
- Candidates who are shortlisted after qualifying for the entrance tests are asked to appear for counselling and an interview to finalize the admission process.
The Delhi University Admission 2022 registrations will begin in July 2022 and the admissions will be conducted on the basis of the marks scored by the candidates in CUET entrance exams as well as those scored in Class 12.
An entrance exam is conducted by many other universities to grant admission to the BA (Hons.) program. NMIMS NPAT 2022 Registrations are now closed and the exam will be conducted in July 2022. Banaras Hindu University will be releasing an official notification regarding the commencement of registrations to BHU-UET 2022 by June or August 2022. Tentatively, JNUEE 2022 Registrations will also begin in June 2022.
The criteria of examinations vary from college to college but the general questions asked are from class 12 and general knowledge during an interview. Candidates who wish to pursue this course must prepare for the exam thoroughly and must focus on certain key points.
Students must go through the syllabus and exam pattern thoroughly and prepare the notes. It is necessary to attend mock tests as it is the sample of the actual examination, solve the previous year\’s question paper and practice regularly.
BA (Hons.) can be pursued in full-time, distance and online mode:
- Full-time BA (Hons.) is offered by top colleges such as DU, MU, CU, etc., and admissions are based on merit lists or entrance examinations. Students can opt for MA (Hons.) or MBA after their BA (Hons.) course for higher studies.
- Distance BA (Hons.) is offered to students who have completed a 10+2 degree from a recognized board and the admission criteria differ based on the universities. Distance learning can however take from three years to six years for an individual to complete and the annual cost would vary from INR 9,500 to INR 15,000.
- Online BA (Hons.) is offered by colleges like Amity University, LPU, Mumbai University, Delhi University, Jaipur National University, Annamalai University, etc. Candidates who have completed 10+2 are eligible for this program and this program can be applied directly from the college’s official website.
One can choose ample professions to choose from after studying BA (Hons.) such as Media Aspirant, Communicator, Political Analyst, Journalist, Banking Official, Content Author, Archaeologists, etc. Candidates can also choose to study further courses such as MBA, MA and PG Diploma in Social Work. Candidates can also choose to pursue B.Ed. for becoming a teacher and an LLB for becoming a lawyer respectively.